Monday, December 04, 2017

Helen Cadbury appreciation

When I first moved to York I went to a few local poetry events and was always made to feel welcome by hosts and participants alike. Helen Cadbury in particular was very welcoming and we would sometimes meet for tea at the Theatre Royal in between her no doubt productive meetings with theatre and poetry folk. As the years went by we had less time to catch up but did attend each other's book launches and Helen was kind enough to write a review for the back of my novel. She achieved well deserved success with her series of contemporary crime novels set in York. The Sean Denton Series

I was very sorry to hear of Helen's death earlier this year and she is a real loss to the cultural life of York. As Christmas approaches I am thinking of her family.

Valley Press is launching her poetry collection Forever, Now tomorrow night in York. Unfortunately the event is sold out but I will be thinking of Helen, her talent, and her warm welcome for everyone.

Helen was featured on this blog in 2011 with her poem From the Norse.

1 comment:

carolynoconnell said...

That's so sad Joanna, you will miss such a friend and I know how much she meant to you when you moved to York as I am in the same the same position after moving to a new area. She was a lovely lady and writer.

York Literature Festival HUB 2018 event, Tuesday, 20th March

I'm looking forward to my first event for absolutely ages - at the York Literature Festival HUB. Many thanks to YLF and Valley...